Welcome!

I am a handweaver, handspinner, and handknitter who has been fascinated with textiles all my life. Humans have been creating textiles since before recorded time and I feel connected to the ongoing chain of human existence through this medium. I am also a researcher and student of the history of textile and clothing production. As a tangible expression of culture, the preservation of historic methods of textile production (such as handweaving and handspinning) serve as a living legacy of our heritage and teaches about the culture we live in. I welcome you to join me as I continue to learn and explore....


Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Nerdy, history geek yarn love....

I was digging around the internet yesterday and, for a couple of different reasons, ended up on the website for Plimouth Plantation: 
http://www.plimoth.org/.

After looking around the website, being me, I had to check out the on-line shopping to see what they had available.  Imagine my surprise (not to mention my excitement!) when I found this:


"Details

Plimoth Plantation is pleased to introduce our exclusive line of 100% wool yarn. “New Plimoth Worsted” is spun in the National Historic Landmark village of Harrisville, New Hampshire by Harrisville Designs. The color palette is designed by Plimoth Plantation matching colors produced using natural dyestuffs of the 17thc. Period colors names such as gray “Rat’s Colour” and yellow “Maidenhair” describe each shade. packaged in 2 oz, 100 yd skeins."

Ok, I am a true history geek because I nearly squealed out loud over this.  Yes, I know I can get similar colors with natural dyestuffs in my own backyard, but this is from Plimouth Plantation!  In historic colors!  Spun by Harrisville!  Omgomgomgomg!!!  I have GOT to have some of this.  It may have to wait until after Christmas, but I still MUST have this yarn.  Along with the historical patterns they have for sale on the same site:
I can probably live without the sock pattern but would really love to have the cap and stocking patterns.  I hope they work with the new yarns.... maybe I'll make the stockings in Goose Turd green ~ lol! 

No comments:

Post a Comment